Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Saturday, July 2, 2011

5. Going Nuts

Bringing Sean home was easy although I worried about his unhealed circumcision. When I found out at 7 months that I was having a boy, I stressed about whether or not to put him through it. I let his dad make the decision. After his birth, I didn't really have time to fixate on it. Before I knew it, Dr. Toler came in the next morning and said, "I circumcised your son today." I gasped and asked, "How did he do?" and he said, "Well, he wasn't happy about it!"

How did he do? What a no-brainer! I couldn't wait to see that he was okay. I kept thinking about how much I just don't understand it. It is just one of many things in this life.

When it came time to change his dressing at home, I panicked a little. I called the nurse and said in a flustered state, "It is attached to his nut sack." Nearby, my father whispered to my mother, "Did she just say, 'nut --- sack'?!" I don't think well under pressure, okay? My redneck side has a tendency to show itself.

You know you're a Redneck if you say, "nut sack" to describe a part of the male anatomy.

Sean was slightly jaundiced at birth. Aside from changing his circumcision dressing, I was advised to put in him a sunny window to reduce the bilirubin levels.


Where was Savannah? She was in her own little world.

6 comments:

  1. As usual your writing is so seductive...not in a sexual way, you know it just draws me in and I want to know more. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horror of trying to decide on whether or not to circumcise.... anguished moments at each diaper change.... oh... I remember well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sherri. I'm glad I'm drawing you in since this was your idea! Ha!

    Theresa, it stressed about it almost my whole pregnancy. Poor little boy babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the nurse came to take Chase to get circumcised, I was frantic... then it took forever for them to bring him back.

    A half hour went by and I actually gathered all the visitors and demanded they hold hands and pray for his circumcision.

    Someone snuck out the back of the room and got the nurse to bring Chase back. He was just sleeping. She didn't want to bother us! Instead she just terrified me they'd somehow slipped up and all he had was a nut sack!

    Those poor visitors!! One was a client!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this story! Hahahaha! A baby boy with only a nut sack is a sad situation! Imagine if it were true. Listen, I stressed about it so much that I prayed for another girl. I love my boy though. I am thankful that my Dr. took him straightaway, without warning, to carry on the family tradition. Sean seems fine today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at the doctor's reply! So true, but funny.

    ReplyDelete