Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Friday, July 15, 2011

23. Like Father Like Son

With Sean starting school at the tail end of the school year in mid April of 1998, we were rushed with information about autism, parent rights, IEP's (Individual Education Plan), inclusion, ESY (Extended School Year) and deadlines. We had in-home training too. Sean's new teacher, Silvia, came to our home to explain details about autism, terms related to autism and what is to be expected. As my husband and I were listening to the crash course in autism, I remember he asked questions about genetics. As he read the signs from the list, I believe they felt hauntingly familiar to him. He laughingly said, something like, "I think I have this!" And I laughingly said, something like, "I think you do!" 

That was pretty much the extent of our conversation regarding his having mild autism. However, his statement had me thinking about our life since we were married in 1986. Although there is no official diagnosis that I am aware of, based on my experience with autism and knowledge today, I believe his statement to be true. I began to feel boxed in by autism. Why did this happen to me

1 comment:

  1. Autism is such a difficult disorder for parents and others to deal with! You are one of the few that could handle it well. That's why God chose you to have this happen to.

    ReplyDelete