Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Saturday, August 13, 2011

50. How-To Christmas

Christmas mornings were interesting. They were as exciting as they could be for a child with autism. And who am I to say, really? I felt like a cheerleader trying to excite Sean. My heart would sink a little when I watched Sean walk past his wrapped presents each year. I usually had to place a gift in his hand and show him what to do with it but at least he responded to the unwrapped gifts without prompting. I had to look at the bright side. At least he could see and hold them. There was much to be grateful for despite his inability to connect to things I felt he might connect with. After all, I filled out his wish list.

Sean's third Christmas

Luckily this train set was turned on, 
otherwise, Sean would have walked right past it. 
This was a very happy moment for all of us.
Sean was four.

I'm pretty sure I put this present in Sean's hands. 
He eventually learned what to do. 
He is about five years old here.
Better delayed than never.


I celebrated Sean's accomplishments but was glad that Savannah was all over Christmas! Luckily, my focus was quickly shifted to her joy. Her joy became mine. She could always redirect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment