Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Friday, July 8, 2011

10. "Let Us Know"

I was determined to have a wonderful life. It was something attainable in movies and I was hopeful that my family life was going to be just like in the movies. All was forgiven and forgotten and denying that I was in denial became my norm. I was A-okay. I was fantastic. Marvelous. Peachy. The tropical environment of Harlingen and the pool at the apartment complex was enough to take the focus off of any problem. I dove back into the idea of a new beginning. I was feeling it.

Several weeks into the new place, I established a pediatrician and called The Dept. of Special Education to make an appointment to have Savannah tested for autism. Of course, I had to bring Sean along but I was dreading it because his tantrums were unpredictable and out of control. They were seriously over the top. They had been worsening over the year and becoming more and more unmanageable although I would never admit it. He was TWO and that is what two year olds do - they tantrum.

When we were at The Board getting the evaluation wrapped up, Sean began to pitch one of his fits in his stroller. I did the best I could; went through all the steps to temper the tantrum to no avail. I was full of apologies so I tossed out a few with a faint smile as if to say, "What's a mother to do? He's two".

When I was leaving, the psychometrist said, "If you ever need help with him, let us know".

"Let us know"? I smiled and paused when she said that but thought nothing of it until a year later.

1 comment:

  1. Very observant psychometrist. I would have thought the temper tantums were normal, too.

    ReplyDelete