Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Friday, July 15, 2011

26. Building Bridges

Summer was hard but fun! Autism automatically qualified Sean for ESY (Extended School Year) so he went to school a little during the summer. The hours were shorter but at least he was going some. Since there is a little bit of natural regression with typical children during summer months it is apparently more with autistic children so the idea behind ESY is to close that gap. ESY is not just for autistic children, however. Whatever the reason, I was clapping my hands! I loved every break I could get because I had not quite gotten a handle on how to communicate with Sean effectively.

Savannah had graduated from preschool (or so I heard) and although her teacher recommend that we "hold her back", I just couldn't see that happening. I was ready for her to have a full day of school. Sister, please! Once  my husband and I went to the year end play, to see Savannah perform (and save face, as if), I wanted to never see those people again. It wasn't anything they did, it was just that the year had been so hard and embarrassing. She was going to go to Kindergarten at the same school as Sean.

During the summer we played hard! We went swimming at the apartments. Even Jackie went swimming with Sean. I'd bring him in, put him on spin cycle and dry him out.  That was the first real time I solidly stood my ground with Sean. I would try to explain, "If you take him swimming, you will have to wait until he's dry!" I was learning to be one Big Enchilada! Sister, please!

We hung out at Pat's and went swimming, made the occasional trip to Mexico with Pat (cause Mama was out of Sol) and sometimes made a trip to the beach with Pat, her son Ian and Alyson. My husband was working hard but enjoyed the weekends with me and the kids. When we were at the island, he was glad to have some down time at home alone. 

Autism seemed like Sean's imaginary friend. I'd watch him withdraw and cross over as if crossing a bridge. A "mental" bridge. Even though I know he didn't ask for autism, from the outside looking in, it seemed like he couldn't wait to cross it and stay away for awhile. He was comfortable there. The more we tried to pull him out of himself, the harder he worked to protect it.

1 comment: