Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Friday, July 15, 2011

24. Signs and Symbols

I was not a direct victim of autism but I felt very victimized by having to live in it's periphery. It was hard enough for me living alongside these symptoms (in varying degrees) much less for Sean having to live with these symptoms:
  • Lack of or delay in spoken language
  • Repetitive use of language and/or/motor mannerisms (hand-flapping, twirling objects)
  • Little or no eye contact
  • Lack of interest in peer relationships
  • Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
  • Persistent fixation on parts of objects
  • Difficulty with transitioning 
I watched the frustration build in Sean with very little skills to help him. He couldn't speak. He didn't have a definitive way to communicate so all that was left to do was throw down. Sylvia introduced new ways for Sean to communicate. He began signing a little but it wasn't used very often because they were trying to get him to speak. They used Board Maker picture symbols to make picture schedules to help with transitioning. The schedule is designed to show him what is coming next much like the one below:

FINISHED POCKET

As each activity was carried out, Sean would remove the velcro'd symbol and put it in the "Finished" pocket. Then he would move the next symbol to the top. The schedule could be as detailed as it needed to be. I was amazed at how this worked. He was a long way from being liberated but at least he knew where he was going one schedule at a time. With the sign language and symbols, the days at school were more calm. I'm not sure why we didn't use the picture schedule system at home. It sure would have helped. 

Sean was happier. He had new skills to help him communicate. He still stimmed quite a bit by trickling linear things like Q-tips in front of his face and watching them fall. His dad would throw them up through the ceiling fan. As they scattered, Sean (in a crouched position) immediately collected them in a matter of seconds. I remember the day I introduced him to Q-tips. I was so frustrated I opened up the box I had just purchased and threw a wad of them on the floor. He was satisfied. Stimming was something the school wanted Sean to do very little so they used it as a reward. At home, my motto was: 

"Do it, do it, do it till you're satisfied, whatever it is!"

3 comments:

  1. See, even in your frustration you manage to see things from Sean's point of view...to realize how frustrated he was. Not everyone would do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Autism,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello viewers just a quick one from Dr Ayo The Great Herbalist, I went online to search for Autism Cure form my Son And I saw lot Discussing about Chines And Africa herbs Remedy for Autism, I choose wisely and I Dm Dr. Ayo from Wrest Africa. He Responded quickly I made some payment and receive the herbal antidotes/remedy made him Free from Autism Now I he can talk normal, Art normal than as he was then love to play with other kids and no more head hurt. All thank to Dr. AYO Just within three weeks till now and still counting now divine health is at work in my Home just at Dr. Ayo Or Avspellalter@gmail.com WhatsApp +2349054910629 https://wa.me/message/BC5Z75XDXYZOF1
    God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete