Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Monday, October 3, 2011

59. In Acappella

My life in Harlingen was wearing on me. I was pretending to be happy, but it was getting harder and harder to do. I worried so much about the future of my children. Their exposure to such negative energy in the house was harder to explain. The air was thick, and I was suffocating. I was struggling so much that I began imagining myself with my children on our own, away from my marital responsibilities. Our home was toxic.

To try and make things better for Savannah, I would watch "The Land Before Time" movies with her in her room. She loved all of them. The music especially.

One night she called me to her room and closed the door. She looked at me square in the face and said, "DON'T CHEER!" at which point I swore on my first born that I wouldn't!

She sat me down on her bed, positioned herself at her Little Tikes picnic table and began singing, "Always There" from "The Land Before Time V". (The video link is the best I could find)

I listened to my seven year old daughter sing the complete song to me. With every bit of restraint I had, I managed to make it through with little to no reaction as she had insisted. I hugged her ever so tightly, walked out of her room and bawled my eyes out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm cheering! For you... for Sav! For the land before time.

    ReplyDelete