Read my story . Share my story . change my story

***

Monday, October 3, 2011

61. "Big Fish and Fairy Tales"

I've known you all my life--
Rumpelstiltzkin too, so what? 
I've read the proverbs, tales, 
miracles; 

Death to life, masses of manna, 
son sacrifices, straw into gold, 
Why not? and calmed seas. 

And there is still all this wine, 
and I want water. 

Villagers, messengers, 
and prophets seek your name, 
want to watch you dance 
'round the flames, 
sing the agenda of tomorrow; 
know which child you'll take. 

I sit on the shore and listen 
to the conch simulate the ocean, 
swear it is the echo of Jonah 
screaming to be free. 

If my son returns 
I will name him "Jonah". 
Ask what he learned 
from the "big fish". 
I will read him Rumpelstiltzkin, 
and I will no longer 
be torn in two.

©2000 Peggy Putnam Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment